Tuesday, February 21, 2012

How To Have A Good Day


Today, Sunday Feb 19, 2012 11:26 pm

Today was a particularly good day. Everything kind of went my way and I wasn’t bothered by unknowable or mundane things. Relaxing and enjoying the days I have off is good. If only I can do that more often.

Started out at noon with the family at Madura’s, a Cuban restaurant that has a great brunch. I had a delicious tortilla espanola, which I promptly shat out in two back to back bathroom trips about half an hour apart. Then my family left. It may have had something to do with all the groans and smells coming from the bathroom. I sat on the couch and listening to relaxing music while reading a book interspersed with web searches for a while. Then I discovered through the Lincoln Center Film Society website that they were playing a documentary about Georges Méliès (who the movie Hugo was about) and then showing his film A Trip to the Moon. It started at four, which gave me enough time to finish my chapter and walk to the subway. I got there early and read a little in the theater before hand. The documentary was fantastic, an engaging and inspired doc about Georges Méliès’ career and how against a lot of odds they were able to restore A Trip to the Moon (110 years old) to its original glory. Plus, A Trip to the Moon was surprisingly fun to watch. It has a real charm to it and its very imaginative. I think even with the limitations to films of the day, it still can be enjoyed by a modern audience. When I got back to the condo, I searched for dvd's of Méliès’ movies, though I found some I decided not to buy. I figured impulsive buying isn't a great idea. I made myself dinner, and for the first time in a long time I sat down and wrote. I lost track of time and wrote for over an hour, but then I was running late. I ran to the train to catch a comedy show in Williamsburg. It was at the Knitting Factory in Brooklyn for their free weekly comedy night. Even though I had to stand, it was an amazing show. Fantastic comedians and it’s a very cool venue. 

Then I took the train back, and here I am feeling satisfied after a good day. I feel like I waste a lot of days that have the potential of being as easy and enjoyable as today was. I realize something; A good day (like this) is a day without television. I know that makes me sound like a pretentious hipster, but I know that if I turned the TV on instead of my speakers after brunch, I would have zoned out and never seen Georges Méliès’ greatest film, and I would never have felt thought-provoked enough to write for over an hour. Basically, if I turned on the television it would have been another bland regular day where I am just wasting the hours away until I got to sleep. Today was a different day, and I hope for more like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment